Tag Archives: applications
Film and Flexible Packaging Applications
Adhering on film and flexible packaging—whether it’s coating, lamination, metallization, print—can be challenging as the materials generally have very low surface energy, which is difficult to adhere to. So, manufacturers recognize the importance of monitoring and verifying surface treatment. Thus, ensuring a proper in-place surface preparation process and verifying this process is crucial for successful adhesion when working with film and flexible packaging.
BTG Labs’ Surface Analyst™ is a fast, easy, and accurate surface energy measurement device. Unlike dyne— the most common surface treatment verification method–it is objective, quantifiable, non-destructive to the material being tested and safe for the user. This handheld device allows users to take measurements in under 2 seconds directly on the factory floor. This reduces waste and ensures a successful product and a satisfied customer.
Typical Surface Analyst Applications in Film and Flexible Packaging Manufacturing
- Define optimum flame or corona treatment level
- Verify and monitor flame and corona treatment level
- Troubleshoot printing and sealing problems
- Analyze potential migration of low molecular weight components of polymers in packaging
- Identify and monitor decay of treatment level due to extended storage or storage under non-ideal conditions
- Verify surface readiness to print on PET and polyethylene bottle packaging
- Monitor printing film on flexible packaging
- Flag environmental contaminants in production/on rollers or transfer areas
The world of consumer goods is highly diverse so consequently, manufacturing processes are even more varied. From golf clubs to paints to windows to solar panels, consumer goods products face a variety of stresses in the field that can include moisture, impact, contaminants, and environmental stresses. Manufacturers must produce a product to withstand those stresses. BTG Labs’ Surface Analyst™ can do just that. It is a versatile, handheld, accurate, easy to use instrument that can cut down on failure and waste and ensure surfaces are properly prepared to create the strongest bonds whether its coating, printing, painting, sealing, or cleaning. The Surface Analyst measures, monitors, and guarantees from the lab to the factory floor.